Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rollerball (2002)

Rollerball is one ultra violent sport.  Besides the crazy rules of rollerskating around the field of play, there are several ramps for jumps.  And also the "rabbit hole" for a player with the ball to go through and drop onto the other side of the course.  Oh, .. and I forgot to mention the motorcycles on the course to help whip the players around to increase their speed.  It's rather reckless.

The players, from all over the world, ride, twist, and turn on these tracks all over Asia.  They wear silly costumes, have silly names.  It's fun.  But the owners are not happy with the ratings and begin to tweak events on the course to help boost ratings.  The next thing you know, players are getting hit in the face and worse.  Then the ratings skyrocket.

For such a violent and wacky sport, the violence factor is rather low.  For the playoffs, penalties are removed and the violence gets kicked up a notch.  A notch.  That's it.  I thought that it would have been kicked up a lot more.

Look.  This is not one of the B movies that I normally review on Medusa's Face.  No digital monsters.  No buckets of blood.  But, I'd watch this movie again.  I wouldn't pay to own it, but I would watch this again.

I give this movie 2 1/2 out of 5 road luge contraptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment