Monday, April 25, 2011

The Midnight Meat Train

I saw the title of this movie and I thought to myself, "oh baby".  Does this movie have over-the-top violence?  Yes.  Does it have brutal gore?  Plenty.  Does it have a good story?  You betcha.  Big problem though, ... the ending.

A serial killer is loose on the subways.  He's a butcher.  Really.  He works at a meat packing facility.  He rides the subway at night and brutally, and I mean brutally, kills his victims with a hammer.  He has some other tools, but the hammer is the weapon of choice.  He performs several COOL DEATH SCENE ALERTS by smashing his hammer into the heads and faces of his prey.

A photographer, who is trying to make a name for himself in the art world, begins taking several pictures at night to capture the mostly unseen side of the city.  This includes witnessing a potential rape and photographing the assailants.  But he also happens to catch the butcher in a photo and it becomes his obsession.

Things move along well with the movie.  The storyline is solid.  The acting is good, partly because there are some recognizable faces in the movie.  The big problem I have is the ending.  It is almost as if the writers could not figure out a feasible solution to the story, so they through in this bazaar twist.  It is awful.  Period.

The subway conductor is aware of the killings.  The police officer assigned to the case is also aware.  That didn't really bother me.  It was the last minute addition to the story that ruined it for me.

Suspense: 9
Brutality: 10
Gore: 9
WTF? Ending: 0

Seriously.  I thought that I was going to get a B movie when I saw that title.  I guess not.

I give this movie 3 out of 5 century old subway schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment